Android devices have gained much popularity within the last few years; it’s no doubt an awesome operating system but as it increases, the peril of viruses are also increased.
“A mobile virus is a malicious software that targets mobile phones by causing collapse of the system and loss or leakage of confidential information” Wikipedia.org
Android is certainly an OS with strong internal security and most android devices today comes with built-in or default antivirus apps. However, if your android device doesn’t feature one or it actually does but you want an extra security; the below apps will be of a great help.
The Best 10 Antivirus Apps For Android
Note that all the antivirus apps listed below are official, totally free and can be downloaded via the Google play store.
1. avast! Free Mobile Security
Rated 4.7 on the play store with millions of active users, avast! Free mobile security is one of the best free antivirus and anti-theft app in existence. It protects your smart device with automatic scanning and provides a web shield for safe browsing.
- Protection against viruses, malware, adware and spyware
- Easily locate your lost mobile phone
- Call filter, firewall
2. ESET Mobile Security For Android
Another free high-rated antivirus app for your Android, also supporting windows OS devices; ESET mobile security provides protection against infections such as viruses, warms or Trojan horses. It has a premium version which will be offered free to you the first 30days, once it’s exhausted you’ll have to upgrade or stick with the free plan.
- Scan of downloaded applications and files
- Tablet friendly interface
- USSD vulnerability protection
3. TrustGo Antivirus & Mobile Security
One of the most popular antivirus app for android with a 4.6 star rating on play store and ranked No.1 by AV-Test. TrustGo is totally focused towards protecting your Android device from dangerous malware and viruses, it detects and removes them. It also offers the “find my phone” feature, enabling you located your lost or stolen mobile phone.
- Schedule scans or scan-on-demand
- Secured web and app downloads
- Store, backup and restore your data in the cloud
- Easily identify infected apps via a dashboard
- Candid camera thief ID
4. Lookout Security & Antivirus
Experience a first class protection against mobile threats, phone loss and theft using Lookout security & Antivirus. Apart from the high battery consumption, it’s a great antivirus app.
- Continuous protection from viruses, malware, adware and spyware
- Locate your lost phone
- Contacts backup and download
5. CM Security AppLock Antivirus
A 4.7 star rating on the play store indicates that users enjoy the protection offered by this antivirus app. CM security AppLock antivirus which has also been ranked No.1 by AV-Test provides cool security features for your android device.
- App and system scanner (scheduled scan)
- Automatically takes the photo of someone who entered the wrong password twice
- Lock all personal apps, contacts and settings
- Call blocking
- Safe browsing
- Find your lost phone
6. Kaspersky Internet security
Kaspersky Internet security has only one aim, that’s to secure your android device from viruses. The free version is great, but more features are offered in the premium version.
- Antivirus scanner
- Anti-theft protection
- Alarm feature that works even in “silent”
- Call & text filter
7. Norton Mobile Security
Norton mobile security & antivirus is well known among PC users. Their security is as well extended to android devices and they offer lots of highly developed features like; app locking, anti-theft and antivirus. Using this app, the security of your android smartphones and tablets against threats are guaranteed.
- Protection against malicious apps, theft or loss
- Safe browsing / Data safety
- Scan and remove malware/viruses
- Use SMS to remotely lock your stolen or lost phone
8. 360 Security
The 360 security isn’t only an antivirus but also a speed booster for your android phone. It’s designed to protect your android devices against all virus, malware, system vulnerabilities and privacy risk. To boost the performance of your device, it cleans up app caches and junk files from your system.
- Scan all apps automatically
- Phone booster
- Calls & SMS blocker
- Privacy advisor
- Real-time protection
9. AVG Antivirus
The AVG antivirus is totally free for android and performs its duties to the fullest, that’s to protect your android smartphone from harmful virus, malware, spyware and provide totally security to your personal data.
- Security against malicious apps, viruses and spyware
- Protect contacts, bookmarks and text messages
- Scan media files for security threats
- Safe browsing
- Locate your lost phone/lock your phone
- Call & message blocker
10. McAfee Mobile Security
I’m certain you must have heard about McAfee antivirus, it’s a trusted brand in the antivirus & mobile security game. It offers both free and paid version but you’ll get the security you desire in the free version, although few extra features are available to premium users.
- Antivirus and total security to your android device
- Takes a picture of anyone who enters the wrong password for specified amount of time (mails the picture to you)
- Locate and find your lost or stolen phone
- Device lock
- Backup and restore data
Antivirus apps are must have for all Android users. With any of the above apps, your android smartphones and tablets are strongly secured.
Over To You
Did i exclude any top or powerful android antivirus app? Are there still any to be added to the list? Please let us know in comment below.